Specializing in postcards and antique photographs

Thursday, December 10, 2009

1933 Chicago World's Fair Photo Booth Picture


At the height of the Great Depression, a woman sat down at a photo booth at the Chicago World's Fair, smiled to the camera and snapped her picture.

Her last name is McDearmid, her first name was probably Maxine, and that is all I know about her.

There was another set of these pictures, we sold on eBay several weeks ago. This one is in much worse condition, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I like this for several reasons - the major one is that it has Chicago World's Fair 1933 on it. But also just because of the picture. She's wearing ordinary clothes, smiling, young, healthy and strong back in 1933. I wonder what kind of life she lived.

If you're interested, click on the title to go to the listing.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great picture-- what a genuine smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer: Thanks for the comment! There's just something about this little (and it is very small) set of pictures I like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She probably had gas from eating all that Fair food! I like the picture, especially that hat!

    ReplyDelete