Specializing in postcards and antique photographs

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson




This is an underground exhibit at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, located in Tucson, Arizona. It has been mailed and is postmarked 1970, but based on the clothing and hair styles, I'd say the picture is 10-15 years older than that.

I'm not sure why I like this postcard, I'm not sure anyone else besides me does.  Maybe I like it (and maybe no one else does) because it screams 1950s at you.  Or maybe it's because everybody is looking at an exhibit with an arm extended out on a railing, and I can imagine them moving from display to display with some unintended Kafka-esque alienation, relishing the cool of the tunnel while contemplating the reality of their pending mortality, personified by the blistering heat they walk into upon leaving the tunnel, way down there in the desert of southern Arizona, amongst the cacti, rattlesnakes and scorpions. 

You can click on the title to go to the listing, or click on the picture to make it bigger and search for the quirks. 

2 comments:

  1. There is something about those arms on the railings . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer: Yes, it is wierd. It's like a snapshot of a large broadway musical dance number, with the gal in the blue dress being the main charachter.

    ReplyDelete